2010年2月21日日曜日

Personally, I think that Japanese Valentine's Day and White Day is a very interesting custom, especially considering that only one gender gives chocolate to those that they care about during this time. I myself have never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day in the US, but now that I've gotten older, I have gotten more interested in the traditions.

The observation that some have made that the Valentines traditions of Japan are merely attempts from commercial companies to make more money isn't completely unfounded - some have even said the same about a lot of the holidays in America. However, that does not mean that it's the only reason for the behavior. There are still others that believe in the actual traditions and don't really try to emphasize the commercial aspect of it.

If I went to Japan as an exchange student, I would like to participate in Valentine's Day, even if I would have no idea who I would give chocolates.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Hmm. Yes I follow you on the wishes for giving true gifts for Valentine's day and White day instead of thinking of the commercial aspects of this more loving time of year for couples and true friends. I will admit I tend to do better buying cool, rare, well thought gifts for my friends or girlfriends at the time, but I wish I was a little more creative with making my own gifts. To make my own ikebana or flower arrangement was one of my better self-attempts at a non-bought gift when I left Japan in 2007, and they friend enjoyed it very much. Not to say that I was quite nervous of their thoughts on the quality, but I know the Japanese as a whole are very respecting of the arts and enjoy homemade gifts very much. Do you think girls here would like a arranged flower gift?

    返信削除